Monday, December 8, 2008

The Loss of Innocence.....

Well, it finally happened. The moment I have been dreading since my first child was born. Last night, Michael, Chris and I had "THE TALK".

You know, the one about Santa? Chris said he had made a little comment the other day about it being your parents, so we decided it was time to 'break the news'. He stood there grinning from ear to ear, using his fingers to pinch his cheeks together to stop smiling...too funny. It was such a bitter-sweet moment. I am amazed that we got this far with it. I got all teary-eyed, because I looked at my baby boy who is growing up so fast, and I suddenly became so sad at the thought of how much he is changing and how soon he will be heading off for a mission and college (only 7 years!). At the same time, it was so sweet to watch him get so excited about becoming another Santa in our house, and about being one of the people who gets to help create the magic for the other kids (at least that's what we told him so he wouldn't blab it to the others, LOL). It was a much-dreaded, but sweet moment.

What made the moment even sweeter was watching him realize just exactly WHO has been giving him all of the COOL PRESENTS, tooth fairy money, and Easter candy all these years! LOLOL! That was the best part!

I wonder when the others will figure it out...hopefully not for a long time. I don't think my heart could take it! :)

4 comments:

SarahAnne said...

Wow! I'm so sorry! I can't believe it lasted this long, though. I had to tell DS/9 LAST YEAR! I thought it was way too young. I am so glad you got to keep the magic going with him for so long!

Jennifer said...

Yeah, we actually had the "other talk" with him almost a year before the Santa talk, LOLOL! Whodda thunk? :) Maybe we should have done it the other way around, LOL

Shana C said...

Too cute - but I agree it is a heartbreaker! Part of it is the guilt. We tell the kids they can trust mommy, then we tell them they've been purposely deceived...it's a killer! Brianna *still* hasn't forgiven us. The only thing that keeps her excited is being able to be Santa for your's and SarahAnne's kids when we are able to share Christmas together.

Mimi said...

ohhhh... really? He is such a sweet kid. Maybe this Christmas will be really special for him in a different light.