Last Saturday I took Michael shopping for new church shoes. For about 6 months he has been telling me his shoes were too small, but it was always as we were rushing out the door to church. Once in a while I would remember to look when out shopping, but I could never find anything. So Saturday, we did it. We replaced his size 2 dress shoes with size 6! That's how small that poor boy's shoes were! For some reason, they weren't as uncomfortable as it would seem, but still... Anyway, after church the next day, his shoes were laying on the floor (surprise, surprise). I picked one up and was taken aback by how big it was. I placed it on the floor and slipped my foot inside, and...IT FIT! I wanted to cry! He can't be that big! He has had a big growth spurt lately, and is now measuring at about my eye level. He is nearing the end of the children's shoe and clothing sizes. His shoulders are broadening, and he is even...gulp...shaving his little hair-lip (he had VERY dark peach fuzz, LOL). Where did my baby go?
I have a distinct memory of sitting on the floor in the nursery at our first little apartment above Chris's sister's home, with my knees bent upward and a newborn-Michael cradled in my lap. I remember my hands shaking as I trimmed his little toenails for the first time. I looked at his feet for a long time, wondering what they would do, where they would go, where his life would lead him. I turned him around and held his little foot up against mine, thinking that it would be a lifetime before his foot was as big as mine. Has it really been a lifetime? It feels like it has been an hour.
In sacrament meeting last week, we had a missionary return home (who I SWEAR just left a month ago!). I sat there with Michael and whispered to him that in about 9 years, he will be giving his HOMECOMING talk. That can't be possible. He is 7 months away from being a teenager and starting Jr High school, 4 years away from driving and ...gasp...choke...DATING (though I DARE any girl to even look cross-eyed at my boy!), his voice is going to change any day now - I just can't stand this! I am not big on change. I have figured out the whole little-kid thing - I get the toddler and school age stuff. I am CLUELESS about teenagers! They scare me! How can I have one?????
He is an amazing kid, though. I love to talk to him - as he gets older, our conversations become more and more interesting. He is smart and funny and open, and I am so blessed that he continues to want to confide in me and seek my opinion on things. I am excited to see what kind of man he will become...but I am just not ready to let go of my baby quite yet.
Sorry for the (sappy)trip down memory lane. I was just going to tell you he has big feet, and look where it ended up! LOL!
(and for the record, I don't remember him EVER being this blond!)



4 comments:
Aww! What cute pictures! I remember him with that light hair. Congrats on your big foot! ;o)
Just remember and remind him often... when we treat our children (teenagers included) with respect they will be more likely to respect their parents. It is a two way street. And tell Michael, "do the right thing cuz it's the right thing to do" (that's my own) and it will serve him well. NOTHING is worth messing up his future...mission, temple marriage, family. You will be fine...you are a good mom.
About the shoe size...I told Jeff when he was 14 that if his age and shoe size continued to match, that the next size up we would shorten toes! He ended up with a 14!!! Lot's of special orders!
You are awesome...I miss you all.
ENJOY the JOURNEY!
Well Jenn, that's one way to keep them paying attention in church! So what size are Nicholas's church shoes?... We are in the process this week of registering BK for 9th (!!!) grade....just someone stop the train please - I want off! I loved, loved the pic of you and M together - so adorable! You are both so photogenic!
You really have a talent for writing. You take me along with you. I can just see you holding your little baby boy. My heart aches knowing how soom my own will be "bigfoot" too.
Post a Comment