Friday, February 27, 2009

Nicholas and his ears

We can't seem to escape the bad news when it comes to ears. Over a week ago, Nicholas got an ear infection in his left ear - the one with the hole in the ear drum. He has been using ear drops for a week, which did clear up the infection. At his follow-up appointment today, the DR gave him about a 10 - 20% chance of this hole healing by itself. His last surgery was in July, and usually the holes heal within two months. So it is looking very likely that Nicholas will be going back in for his 15th surgery. This time they will place a tissue graft over the hole and cover it with some material that is supposed to hold it in place. He will then be on restriction with physical activity: no running, jumping, kicking, any jarring motion at all for 4-6 weeks. This is the same procedure Michael had to have a couple of years ago. If Nicholas obeys the rules of restriction, he should have a good chance at healing up. But the graft can slip out of place and then you start all over again. Hopefully we will have a little bit of luck...for once...

Once Nicholas gets his baseball schedule, we will be able to schedule his surgery right at the end of the season. We'll go back to the DR in late April and check the hole one last time for a miraculous healing, and then go from there. Nicholas said today that he is going to pray really hard and have faith, "because Heavenly Father can do ANYTHING". We'd appreciate any additional prayers, too! If time can't heal this wound, maybe faith can.....

5 comments:

SarahAnne said...

What a sweet, faithful boy. We will be praying for him, of course! If we all only had the faith our children do.... :)

Rebecca Pierce said...

Jennifer, I'm sorry to read all of this! I've been wanting to visit, but we've been down for three Sundays now (I'm the only one down now) and so I've been consumed with that. Anyway, I have some ideas for you if you are interested in pursuing the possibility that the ear issues may be diet related. I don't like to put these things out there because I think health is very personal, but I wonder with this kind of repetition if you might eliminate dairy for like two weeks and see if you see some improvement. Let's talk.

George and Caralee said...

My prayers are with Nicholas! I love you sweetie and hope everything will be ok. If you do have to have the surgery, try to be good and do what you are suppose to so it will have the best chance to heal. I am so sad to hear you are still having these troubles. It is time it ENDED for good!!! Love you all!

SarahAnne said...

Hey, I tagged you on my blog. Go see so you can post your stuff here! ;o)

Shana C said...

Hey buddy - you are on the right track! I'll be praying too. Love you much!